Whether you’re the owner of a Jeep Wrangler or prefer a city drive in a Jeep Cherokee, I’m sure you’re already well aware of the importance of having a winch ready at all times.
You might not need a winch to get yourself out of a pickle. You may need to come to the rescue of another road user who’s got themselves stuck in a ditch.
Whatever the reason, owning a winch and keeping it to hand in your Jeep is a must, and in this guide, I will tell you about the best ones on the market in 2023.
Our Top Recommendation for Best Jeep Winch!
- Separate control pack for various mounting options
- Durable, smooth, and reliable three-stage planetary gear train
- Low-profile design will fit most trucks, Jeeps, and SUVs
Best Jeep Winch To Get You Back on Track
Throughout this guide, you will read about my personal opinions and feedback from other users who’ve had a positive experience using these winches.
I have included a range of prices to suit varied budgets, though let’s face it, these winches don’t come with a Jeep, something to consider when thinking about the expense of maintaining your Jeep.
I have also thoroughly inspected each one to ensure it’s fit for purpose, durable, and good value for money.
Lastly, I have looked at branding and warranties. However, it’s important to remember that you should always check out the guarantee yourself before purchasing to ensure you don’t come unstuck should you need to replace or return.
Let’s take a look at the product in a quick list before we go into the more detailed reviews.
- WARN 96805 VR8-S Electric 12V Winch with Synthetic Rope
- RUGCEL WINCH 12000lb Waterproof Electric Black Synthetic Rope
- OFF-ROAD BOAR 13000 Lb Winch, Electric Winch 12V with Synthetic Rope
- Smittybilt X2O GEN2 10K Waterproof Wireless Winch with Synthetic Rope
- Rough Country 12,000LB PRO Series Electric Winch
- ZEAK 12000 lb Electric Truck Winch DC Synthetic Rope and Wireless Remote
1. WARN 96805 VR8-S Electric 12V Winch with Synthetic Rope
There were so many excellent features to this winch I wouldn’t be able to fit them all into such a short review, but it would have you out of a pickle in no time and back on the road.
It’s not quite as light as some of the other winches I used, so maneuvering it and getting it into place might be a challenge for some. But other than that, this is an excellent piece of kit.
As far as hauling you out of a jam, this is extremely. However, as I mentioned previously, it’s a heavy piece of machinery, so some might need help to get it into position.
Pull Line Capacity
The winch comes in various size options, each with a different weight capacity. The V8 and the VR 8-S have a line pull of 8000 lbs, the VR 10 and VR 10-S have a pull of 10,000 lbs, and the VR 12 and VR 12-S have a line pull of 12,000 lbs.
The customer service I received from the company was excellent. They offered warranty support, aftersales care, and plenty of tech advice to anyone who needed help with their product.
|Item Weight||53.5 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||25 x 14 x 9 inches|
- Warranty – The winch comes with a seven-year warranty covering electrical faults and a lifetime guarantee for mechanical issues.
- Easy To Install – I found the winch very straightforward to attach to the front bumper.
- Heavy – The winch was considerably heavier than the ones I’ve used in the past, which may not be ideal for some users.
2. RUGCEL WINCH 12000lb Waterproof Electric Black Synthetic Rope
The Rugcel winch is designed to haul multiple vehicles, such as RVs, 4x4s, trailers, and Jeeps, meaning it is super versatile and not limited to specific brands or models.
With a 6.6 horsepower wound motor that connects to your car’s battery, this has some serious power and can haul heavy loads out of the stickiest of situations.
What I liked most about this winch, and what I found to be the most user-friendly aspect, was the free-spooling clutch. It meant I could quickly disengage the motor and pull out as much rope as I needed.
Pull Line Capacity
This winch has an impressive pull-line capacity of 12,000 lbs, so it’s perfect for heavier Jeeps such as the Wrangler or the new 2023 Grand Wagoneer.
Despite the product being of great quality and this being a well-known company, I was a little let down when it came to customer service. I had trouble getting an email response and only heard back after multiple attempts.
|Item Weight||59.3 pounds|
|Country of Origin||China|
- Handheld Remote – The wireless handheld remote gave me more control over the operation while remaining at a distance, which was an excellent safety feature.
- Price – This was a great bargain compared to similar models on the market.
- Weak Cable – The price was mainly reflected in the quality of the cables; they were pretty fragile, and I am not sure how durable they would be in the long haul.
3. BOAR 13000 Lb Winch, Electric Winch 12V with Synthetic Rope
If you’re looking for a beast of a machine with a not-so-frightening price tag, then the Off-Road Boar might be where your search ends. This is an impressive bit of kit, as far as I’m concerned.
Whether you are stuck in the mud or being a good samaritan and hauling a fellow off-roader through the snow, this will get the job done in a jiffy, with as little hassle as possible.
The winch came with a dual-control remote, which was easy to use and even more convenient.
Pull Line Capacity
This is meant for serious hauling jobs with a pulling capacity of 13,000 lbs and a 6.0 horsepower motor. You’d struggle to find a problem this winch can’t deal with.
Off-Boar is a brilliant company regarding products, services, and guarantees, and you can buy with confidence, knowing that you’ll be well looked after before, during, and after sales.
|Manufacturer||OFF ROAD BOAR|
|Item Weight||61.1 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||20.8 x 6.5 x 8.6 inches|
- Wireless Remote – The remote has two modes of operation, meaning it’s variable to different situations.
- Synthetic Rope – The rope is designed with a protective sleeve, protecting it from damage from UV and weather elements.
- Reliable Brand – My experience with Off Road Boar has been nothing but excellent from start to finish.
- Instructions – This could be a personal opinion, but I found the instructions tricky to master. However, once I figured it out, the installation process was easy,
4. Smittybilt X2O GEN2 10K Waterproof Wireless Winch with Synthetic Rope
This package has everything you need to get yourself out of any sticky situation, including hawse fairleads, power cables, rope sleeves, and a wireless remote control.
It has an impressive 6.6 horsepower, which means it can handle the most demanding circumstances.
I also loved the fact this is a well-established company, having been in business for over 50 years; it certainly puts your mind at rest that you’re investing in a decent product.
I had no problems with the installation and use of this winch; the remote was straightforward to use, and the wiring was all color-coded, so overall, it was a simple process.
Pull Line Capacity
The winch has a pulling capacity of 10,000, so it can handle some heavy-duty work, even in really rough conditions.
As I mentioned previously, Smittybilt has over 50 years of industry experience and an outstanding reputation for its products and before and after-sales care.
|Item Weight||14.4 ounces|
|Product Dimensions||24 x 15 x 11 inches|
|Item model number||98510|
- Quality – I could tell straight away how well-made this winch was; it felt highly durable, and though I can’t comment on the longevity from personal experience, from what others have said, this will last you well.
- Reputable Brand – Coming from a company that has been established as long as this one, it’s safe to say you know your buying quality.
- Instructions – As with a previous product I reviewed, I found the instructions for this confusing. However, it was simple enough, having experience using winches in the past.
5. Rough Country 12,000LB PRO Series Electric Winch | Synthetic Rope
This winch is the real deal. Rough Country is a brand you can trust regarding anything related to vehicle parts, such as winches, lift kits, shocks, and bumpers.
I felt this would be highly durable in the long run, and I think other people’s reviews reflected my opinion on that.
The most significant usability factor with this winch was the installation process; it was a breeze, and I had no issues whatsoever.
Pull Line Capacity
The winch has a pull line capacity of 12,000 and Series Wound motors, making it efficient even at higher speeds.
I’ve heard lots of great feedback about the Rough Country Brand, and my experience with them before and after the sale of this winch was excellent. I was constantly updated about my purchase, and the staff couldn’t do enough for me when I had a query.
|Model||Rough Country 12,000 LB PRO Series Electric Winch | 85 FT Synthetic Rope Fairlead | Clevis Hook | 12FT Remote |PRO12000S|
|Item Weight||63.9 pounds|
|Country of Origin||China|
|Special Features||4 Bolt Pattern - 4.5" x 10"|
- Available with Mount – I liked the fact that you’ve got the option here to buy the winch on its own or with the Mount.
- Warranty – The winch has a one-year electrical guarantee and a two-year mechanical warranty.
- From my own experience, I couldn’t find any downsides with this winch.
6. ZEAK 12000 lb Electric Truck Winch DC Synthetic Rope and Wireless Remote
The Zeak 12,000 will be perfect for hauling your Jeep out of unexpected situations or terrains.
There was tons of rope with this kit, 86 feet to be precise, and an automatic brake system for added safety.
The kit has plenty of accessories, including a wireless remote control, corded remote, battery leads, and clevis hook, so you’ve got everything you need. However, it doesn’t have a mounting bracket, so you must purchase it separately.
There are only positives regarding usability here: the instructions were easy to follow, and installation was an absolute breeze.
Pull Line Capacity
This heavy-duty winch has a pulling capacity of 12,000 lbs, perfect for heavy loads and larger SUVs.
Once again, I have nothing to complain about here. The customer service was consistently good throughout the sale.
|Item Weight||59 pounds|
|Batteries||2 Lithium Metal batteries required. (included)|
- Five Star Reviews – You can check out the reviews for yourself and see how good the feedback is for this winch and the company in general.
- Easy Installation – The manual was super easy to get my head around, and the installation process was a walk in the park.
- No Mounting Bracket – Remember, you’ll need to purchase your mounting bracket separately.
How I Selected The Best Jeep Winches?
The primary thing to look for when shopping for a winch is how well it can get the job done. Getting your Jeep stuck in the snow, mud, or any other situation is no mean feat and requires only the toughest tools.
However, there were other things I was looking for to narrow down my final products.
Durability is essential for a winch, so I had to ensure that each could endure the rigors of off-road use. To ensure this, I was looking for factors such as materials. For example, stainless steel and durable synthetics are the best options.
The product must be waterproof when considering any tool to use during an off-road expedition. After all, you never know what the weather has in store, especially if you’re stuck in the snow or boggy terrain. That’s why I checked the specs for each winch to ensure its waterproofing was up to standard.
The gear ratio determines the winch’s pulling power, which is a key factor, especially if you’re a Jeep stuck in an extreme situation or need to be pulled over tricky obstacles. Lower gear ratios have higher pulling power or torque.
Of course, above all else, you need to ensure that the winch can handle the weight of your Jeep. Generally speaking, you want to look for a winch with a load rating of twice the weight of your 4×4, including the people in it. For example, let’s say your Jeep weighs 5,000, and we’re allowing passenger weight; you’d need a pulling capacity of around 10,000.
Frequently Asked Questions About Jeep Winch
Let’s take a look at what other trailblazing Jeep owners are asking when it comes to getting themselves unstuck when off-roading.
What Are The Key Factors To Consider When Buying A Jeep Winch?
Load capacity, winch line length, motor power, gear ratio, and waterproofing capabilities are the key factors to consider when buying a Jeep Winch.
How Do I Determine The Suitable Load Capacity For My Jeep Winch?
It depends on your vehicle’s weight and the strain it may face during recovery.
Which Winch Line Length Should I Choose For Off-Road Recoveries?
Longer lines offer more versatility for off-road situations.
Why Is Motor Power Important In A Jeep Winch?
It determines pulling strength for challenging recoveries.
What Gear Ratio Should I Look For In A Jeep Winch?
A lower ratio gives more pulling power, especially in rugged terrains.
As we’ve cleared up, having a winch at the ready in a sticky situation is a life-saver, and it’s an essential piece of equipment that should be in everyone’s recovery kit.
Now that you’ve read about what are the best ones on the market, you can make an informed decision about which ones are right for you.
Remember, before you make a purchase, check out the specs, price, and warranty details in case you need to make an unexpected return.