When you are talking about an economical midsize SUV, the Jeep Liberty surely comes to mind. Jeep’s Liberty diesel model is one of the most popular models in its lineup. It grabbed attention due to its highly capable off-road ride.
But like other jeep lineups, it also faces some issues. Among them, jeep liberty diesel problems are so common.
So in order to get a better idea of what repairs may be needed for this vehicle, let’s look at the common problems Liberty has faced over the years with the diesel engine.
What does CRD mean on a Jeep Liberty?
CRD indicates the fuel system of the Jeep Liberty. CRD stands for “Common-Rail Diesel.” It’s a type of diesel engine that has been developed to use a high-pressure fuel pump.
Also read: Jeep Liberty Years to Avoid (Engine/Reliability Problems)
Jeep liberty diesel Problems
Here are a few common problems you might face with the Jeep liberty diesel engine.
Engine Running Hot
- A warning light will appear if your Jeep Liberty faces any overheating issue.
- You will find that the engine generates smoke when it is heated more than actual. Also, you will find the smell of engine coolant. The coolant smell is sweet. If you find such a smell, that means your car is pretty close to overheating.
- In most of the cases, the problems arrived due to low engine coolant. Whenever you find an engine overheating issue, first, you need to check the coolant level. So, you need to refill it back with proper jeep-approved coolant.
- Your Jeep Liberty might face the overheating issue due to faulty fans, which push cool air over the radiator to ensure it runs cool. You need to change the fan if it is the real culprit.
- Also, if the radiator stops operating, then you will notice the overheating issue as the engine fails to cool the coolant. You need to bring your Jeep to a service center for repair or repair in such conditions.
- The thermostat works as a gatekeeper. It allows the coolant to enter and exit the engine. So, when it fails to operate normally, you will surely find an engine heating issue.
- The water pump ensures that the coolant goes through the Jeep Liberty’s engine. If the water pump bearing fails or no longer turns properly, it fails to pump proper coolant through the engine, and it will run hot.
Also, you might face problems below with the CRD engine.
- One of the most noticeable problems with the Jeep liberty diesel engine is engine misfire. For this, you will find engine knock, excessive vibration, and rough idling when shifting gears. Generally, it happens due to the intake valve. You can easily replace it, and the cost will be around $15 to $30.
- Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system destroys the engine.
- Crankcase Ventilation might blow oils.
- Air in the fuel is not in the right amount or fuel system prone to leaks.
- Intercooler leakage issue.
- Head bolts and gasket issues.
- Oil pressure sending unit and rod bearing issues.
- Glow plugs.
If you have any issues with your Jeep Liberty diesel engine, contact professional mechanics.
Is Jeep Libertys Reliable?
Though the jeep liberty comes with some major problems, it is a reliable option as a midsize SUV. However, it gets an average score in terms of reliability.
According to RepairPal, it ranks 14th out of 26 midsize SUVs with a 3.5 out of 5. Also, According to Consumer Reviews, it gets 4.2 out of 5.
What years did Jeep make a diesel Liberty?
The jeep liberty started producing 2.8 VM Motori CRD diesel engines targeting the North American market in 2005. But, it did not meet the federal emission standards in the United States.
So, due to the emission issue, it did not last long and stopped producing it in 2007.
Is Jeep Liberty expensive to maintain?
Jeep Liberty is not very expensive to maintain, but compared to a similar midsize SUV it is a little higher. The cost depends on how frequently you drive the car.
Generally, The average maintenance cost is around $674 yearly, while other midsize SUVs will cost $573.
The Jeep liberty diesel engine comes with some excellent features but also comes with issues. So, you need to know the problems to diagnose them easily. For this, I hope the article will help you.