If you’re in the market for a new Jeep, and you’re trying to weigh up which among the two is best for you, the Cherokee or the Grand Cherokee, you’ll want to know all the details and differences between the two before making an informed decision.
In short, the primary difference between the Cherokee and the Grand Cherokee is that the Grand is much larger in size and boasts much more power. The Cherokee, on the other hand, is designed for a more classy, smoother driving experience.
However, those aren’t the only differences, and in this guide, I’ll go into much more detail about the contrasts between both.
Difference Between The Jeep Cherokee and The Jeep Grand Cherokee
Before we take a detailed look at the differences, let’s cover the basics. The table below gives you a side-by-side comparison of the primary specs of the 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the Jeep Cherokee.
|Feature||Jeep Cherokee||Jeep Grand Cherokee|
|Engine||I4 2.4 Liter||V6 3.6 Liter|
|Drive Type||4-Wheel Drive||Rear Wheel Drive|
|MPG||21 City/ 29hwy||19 City/26hwy|
|Fuel Type||Regular Unleaded||Regular Unleaded|
|Torque||171 lbs-ft||257 lb-ft|
|Number of Gears||9||8|
|Front Wheel Size||17 Inches||17 Inches|
|Rear Wheel Size||17 Inches||17 Inches|
|Airbags||Front and Rear||Front|
|Front Brakes||Ventilated Disc||Disc|
|Vehicle Height||66.2 Inches||70.8 Inches|
|Vehicle Width||63.2 Inches||77.5 Inches|
|Vehicle Length||182.0 Inches||189 - 191 Inches|
Jeep Cherokee V.s Jeep Grand Cherokee – In More Depth
Now that we’ve got the main specs covered let’s take a look at some other differences between the two Jeeps that might sway your decision.
- Jeep Cherokee: The Jeep Cherokee can hold its fair share of cargo, around 55 cubic feet. However, to do so, you’ll need to make adjustments by folding down the back seats.
- Jeep Grand Cherokee: If you require more cargo storage, the Grand Cherokee is the one for you. Because of its larger general size, it can hold around 68 cubic feet of cargo when the seats are folded down.
Price as of 2023
- Jeep Cherokee: Depending on where you purchase, the Jeep Cherokee can be picked up with a starting price of around $26,000 for the standard model.
- Jeep Grand Cherokee: The starting price of the Grand Cherokee comes in a little higher, at around $34,000, making it the more expensive of the two.
- Jeep Cherokee: The Cherokee is a five-seat small SUV known for its comfortable front seats, optional leather upholstery, and power-adjustable options. The design includes a power liftgate, hands-free liftgate access, and a sliding second row.
- Jeep Grand Cherokee: The Grand is a two-row midsize SUV. It also seats five and has comfortable bucket seats, plenty of legroom, and upgradable upholstery.
- Jeep Cherokee: The Cherokee is preferred for comfortable road driving. It has 180 horsepower and 171lbs of torque. It has a towing capacity of 4500 lbs.
- Jeep Grand Cherokee: As far as off-road performance goes, the Grand is the clear winner here, especially with the Trailhawk model that comes with skid plates, a two-speed transfer case, and an air suspension upgrade option. It has a horsepower of 295 and a 6.2 ltr V8 engine.
Tech and Safety
- Jeep Cherokee: The Jeep Cherokee has a standard Uconnect infotainment system and a 7-inch touch screen. Upgrades include suspension, an 8.4-inch screen, Wi-Fi hotspot, GPS, and a premium stereo. Safety features include collision warning, lane keep assist, blind spot monitoring, and a rear camera.
- Jeep Grand Cherokee: The Grand offers the same standard features as the Cherokee. It also has options like a Harman Kardon sound system, rear-seat entertainment, and rear air-conditioning. Safety features include a rearview camera, blind spot monitoring, and rear cross-traffic alert.
- Jeep Cherokee: The Cherokee is more fuel efficient, with 21 MPG for city driving and 29 MPG for highway driving.
- Jeep Grand Cherokee: The Jeep Grand Cherokee is less economical, with 19 MPG when city driving and 26 MPG when driving on the highway.
Frequently Asked Questions About The Jeep Cherokee and The Jeep Grand Cherokee Comparison
Let’s see what other potential Jeep owners are wondering about when choosing between the Cherokee and the Grand.
What Are the Main Differences Between the Jeep Cherokee and the Jeep Grand Cherokee?
The Jeep Cherokee is much smaller, while the Grand Cherokee is larger and offers horsepower and cargo space.
Do the Jeep Cherokee and the Jeep Grand Cherokee Have Similar Interior Features?
Yes. Both vehicles provide a range of interior features, including entertainment systems, touch screens, upholstery upgrades, connectivity options, and advanced safety features.
Are There Differences in Performance Between the Jeep Cherokee and the Jeep Grand Cherokee?
Yes. Generally, the Grand Cherokee offers more powerful engine options and enhanced off-road capabilities than the Jeep Cherokee.
Which Model Has More Options and Upgrades Available, the Jeep Cherokee or the Jeep Grand Cherokee?
The Jeep Grand Cherokee typically offers a broader range of options and upgrades, including premium sound systems, advanced driver-assistance features, and luxury amenities.
How Do the Jeep Cherokee and the Jeep Grand Cherokee Compare in Terms of Price?
Generally, the Cherokee has a lower starting price compared to the Grand. But the final price will depend on the chosen trim level and optional features.
Let’s Wrap Things Up
If you’re in the process of weighing up your options and can’t decide between the Jeep Cherokee and the Jeep Grand Cherokee, I hope that the information I’ve provided has given you a good idea of which one is right for you.
The Cherokee is the way to go if you’re looking for a Jeep more suitable for casual road driving. However, if you want to use your 4×4 for more adventurous, off-roading driving, you’ll need the Grand Cherokee for performance and durability. If you are off-roading and have settled for the Grand, there’s more to consider. Check out this comparison to the Grand Cherokee engine sizes to see which will best suit your needs.