Assume you’re taking a long drive in your favorite Jeep Cherokee. You notice you’ve run out of gas all of a sudden. What would you do in that situation?
You must open your fuel door in order to refill the gas tank and proceed to your destination. Each Jeep Cherokee model has its own method for opening the fuel door.
Generally, you must turn off the ignition. The rear edge of the fuel filter door is pushed and released. The door will open by itself.
In this article, I’ve discussed the reasons for the fuel door, not opening and how to open the fuel door on a Jeep Cherokee based on the model.
- Most of the time, you’ll need to turn off the power. Push and release the fuel filter door. The door will open with a pop.
- If the hinge gets distorted or fractured, or if the hinge pin and bushings become too loose or stiff, the hinge will be unable to open and close.
- Like any other component, the springs and release mechanism that operate your Jeep Cherokee’s fuel door may need to be replaced over time.
What Side Is the Gas Tank on A Jeep Cherokee?
You should now see a knob on the left side of the driver’s side dash where you can adjust the headlights. A little round button with a gas tank on it sits just below that knob. The button with the petrol tank symbol should be pressed. Now step around to your fuel door, which should now be open.
Why won’t the fuel door on your Jeep Grand Cherokee open?
The hinge will not be able to open and close if it becomes deformed or broken, or if the hinge pin and bushings become too loose or stiff.
Most of the reasons for a fuel door that won’t open are pretty simple:
Fuel door release that is broken
Some automobiles have fuel door releases that are broken. To open the fuel door in these cars, you must pull the fuel door release (usually a lever on the inside of the car, but sometimes a button on the keys). Pulling on the release will accomplish nothing if it is broken, and your fuel door will be jammed shut.
Exterior damage at the fuel door
If your vehicle has recently suffered exterior damage, it is possible that the fuel door has been impacted. Even a little ding in the correct place might squish the fuel door hinge and prevent it from opening.
Damaged fuel door hinge
Your fuel door, like all other doors, relies on a hinge to open and close. The gasoline door may not be able to open or close if the hinge becomes jammed, or if the pin and bushings in it become too loose or stiff.
What Is the Common Way to Open the Gas Tank on A Jeep Cherokee?
- Turn the car off.
- Put the car in PARK and unlock the doors.
- Get out of the car and look for the gasoline door.
- The gasoline door is positioned on the vehicle’s left side.
- Push and release the fuel door’s center-rear edge. It will pop open, allowing you to fill up your car with gas.
How To Open Fuel Door / Gas Tank on Jeep Grand Cherokee
The Jeep Grand Cherokee’s fuel door opens in a different way with each model. Some people use the buttons; others simply press the lid. Here are different ways to open the gas tank or fuel door, depending on the model year of your vehicle.
On this jeep, opening the gas tank cap is actually fairly simple because all you have to do is click a button with the gas station icon located under the headlight switch. The fuel door will open and you will be able to fill up your tank.
Open the gas tank on a 2011- 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
- The trunk door should be opened
- Remove the storage bin on the left side of the back of the vehicle.
- To open the fuel door, locate and pull the release cable.
Open the gas tank on a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
- To access the gas tank on your 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, locate and release the fuel door release button on the driver’s side of the car.
- Remove the gas cap by turning it counter clockwise.
- After removing your gas cap, go to the fuel pump and choose the type of gas you want.
Open the gas tank on a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Push the fuel filler door release button directly below the headlight switch
- then pull the door open.
Open the gas tank on a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Press the fuel filler door release switch located under the headlight switch
- The door will automatically relock when it is closed.
Open the gas tank on a 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Turn the ignition off.
- Push and release the rear edge of the fuel filter door.
- The door will pop open.
In snowy conditions, ice could prevent the door from opening. In this condition lightly push the outer edge of the door to break and clear away any icy build up.
Open the gas tank on a 2021-2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee
This new model (2021 2022) does not have a button in the car to open the gas tank cap, unlike the previous model. To open the fuel door, follow these steps:
- Turn off the engine. Put the car in PARK and unlock the door.
- Get out of the car and look for the fuel door. The gasoline door is positioned on the vehicle’s left side.
- Push and release the fuel door’s center-rear edge. It will open, allowing you to refill your vehicle.
In the cargo area’s back, left-hand side, there is also an emergency release located under the storage container.
Can you replace a fuel door?
The springs and release mechanism that operate your Jeep Cherokee’s fuel door, like any other component, might wear down over time and require replacement. AutoZone and some other websites have everything you’ll need to replace your gas door when the time comes.
Your Jeep Cherokee needs gas to run, and you won’t be able to fill it up if you can’t get to the gas cap, which is hidden behind the fuel door.
This limits the number of miles you can travel before your tank runs out. As a result, as soon as you find that your fuel door is jammed closed, you should get it inspected and fixed.